Adopted August 2015, Village of Geneseo
Social host ordinance (SHO) applies to both minors and adults.
- SHO only applies to the Village of Geneseo
- SHO holds minors and adults liable for hosting underage drinking parties.
- In order to be guilty you must KNOW that there is an underage party, or that underage youth are drinking on your property.
Certain exemptions exist:
- Parental supervision: A parent or guardian can give alcohol to their own child in their presence. A parent/guardian cannot give alcohol to any other youth
- Corrective Action: Adults and minors will not be prosecuted under the SHO if they take reasonable corrective action to ensure that the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs by any minor on such premises is prohibited. Reasonable corrective action includes, but is not limited to:
- Verifying the age of persons attending the social gathering by inspecting the drivers licenses or other governmental-issue identification cards;
- Making a prompt demand that such minor either forfeit the alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs and refrain from the consumption of such and promptly report such activity to the local law enforcement agency.
- First offense: $250 fine + alcohol education class, or imprisonment for a term not to exceed 15 days, or a combination of such fine and imprisonment as shall be ordered by the court
- Second offense and every offense after: $500 fine + alcohol education class, or imprisonment for a term not to exceed 15 days
- Violations are prosecuted in Geneseo Village Court